Friday, August 24, 2018
This is a ONE DAY version of the trademark two-day Riding in the Zone Training Tour based on the nationally recognized Stayin’ Safe Advanced Rider Training course. The tour features lightly traveled roads that wind through bucolic New England scenery. Our route includes various challenges ranging from hairpin turns to long, open sweepers that are suitable for most experience levels. Expect rolling and twisting roads with many blind turns and some rollercoaster hills.
We will meet in Ashfield, MA at the quintessentially New England Elmer’s Store. Ashfield is nestled at the base of the Berkshire Hills and is home of peaceful Ashfield Lake, Rockwellesque Ashfield Hardware and birthplace of the famous movie director Cecil B. DeMille.
Our day begins with a breakfast meeting at Elmer’s Store, followed by an hour or so of closed course drills. The rest of the day includes our training tour through the northern Berkshires of Massachusetts and the Southern Green Mountains of Vermont. During our tour we coach you using bike-to-bike communicators to help you become a safer and more confident rider.
At about 4:00 PM and after an average of about 150 miles, the tour ends in Ashfield where we debrief over a beverage before the group heads toward their respective destinations.
- Personal training with real-time coaching using rider to-rider communicators
- Tour through the hidden Berkshire hills of Western Massachusetts and Southern Vermont.
- Video of you riding.
Lodging and Food
Lodging and meals are not included in one-day tours. We recommend staying the night before at the Inn at Norton Hill. Tell Nan that you are a student of mine for a special discount rate. If there are no rooms available, click here for a list of local lodging.
What You’ll Learn
- Slow Speed Maneuver Techniques
- Emergency Braking and Swerving
- Visual Targets
- Lane Position
- Body Position
- Cornering Precision
- Cornering Lines
- Identify visual clues to increase cornering safety and confidence
Riding in the Zone is a partner with Stayin’ Safe Advanced Rider Training and shares the same methods for conducting training tours, however some terms and approaches may differ somewhat. No matter. You can rest assured that both Riding in the Zone and Stayin’ Safe are 100% compatible and meet the highest standards of rider training.
Where Will We Ride?
We will be touring around my little bit of motorcycling heaven in the Berkshire Hills of Western Massachusetts and southern Vermont. The beautiful Berkshire foothills have miles and miles of killer motorcycling roads.
Rides will meet at Elmer’s Store in the center of Ashfield, MA.
NOTE: There is no cell service in Ashfield to speak of. However, Elmer’s has free WiFi.
This is what you can expect when riding in the Berkshire Hills.
- At least one season (3,000 miles) of experience.
- You must have a current motorcycle endorsement, as well as a legally insured and registered motorcycle.
- You must also present proof of health insurance, sign a liability waiver
What to Bring
- Riding Gear (required at all times)
- DOT-approved helmet
- eye protection (windshields do not count as eye protection)
- motorcycle jacket,
- long pants (armored motorcycle pants preferred)
- full coverage gloves
- sturdy, over-the-ankle boots.
- 3.5mm earbuds with an inline microphone. EXAMPLE
- Rain gear. Tours run rain or shine.
- Enough layers (or electric jacket liner) for cool temperatures.
- USB Thumb drive that is at least 8Gb in capacity for video
On-Street Training Tours help riders increase confidence and enjoyment in real-world conditions. However, this is not a course for raw beginners! Students are wise to take the MSF Basic RiderCourse or have an equivalent level of skill before signing up. A good guideline is having ridden at least a season (3,000+ miles).
Personal one-on-one On-Street Training Tours are available where I can customize a training program based on your skill level that will ensure satisfaction.
We will be riding at moderate street speeds and enjoying a street ride through some beautiful countryside with awesome twisty roads. If you want to learn to ride fast in a safe environment, I am available for Track Day Personalized Instruction at Tony’s Track Days.
The Riding in the Zone, LLC Motorcyclist Training Program is supported by the American Motorcyclist Association and the Massachusetts Rider Education Program (MREP). Scholarships are available through the BMW/MOA Foundation.
Riding in the Zone, LLC is chartered and insured through the American Motorcyclist Association