This is a clear demonstration of the consequences of not having proper braking skills. Take a look and then I’ll give you my opinion. I’ll wait.
A shocking number of riders in this video’s original version blamed everything but the rider. Sad.
Well, this is the most classic example of a failure to apply the brakes properly under pressure.
The rider demonstrates an inability to “predict the future” through situational awareness leading to the sudden need for evasive action. And while you can argue that the rider was positioned too close to deal with the stopping vehicles and that the tar snakes reduced traction, the primary reason the crash occurred was lousy skills.
- The rider skids the rear tire. Untrained riders react to panic braking situations the only way they know how… which is to stomp on the big brake pedal with their strong leg, like when driving in a car.
- He then throws out his “outriggers” (legs) so that his feet are now off the pegs…and off the rear brake.
- Our rider fails to use the most powerful tool at his disposal—the front brake.
- All the time, the rider fixates his eyes on the back of the truck. Target fixation is the final straw.
This is 100% avoidable with proper braking practice. This article covers the basics. DO NOT neglect to develop this critical skill.
Please Donate to Keep the Articles Coming
If you liked this article and the many other articles on this site, please toss a buck or five into the hat. It’s greatly appreciated!
- Click the PayPal “Pay Now” button.
- Then indicate quantity in $2.00 increments. – Example: put “2” in “QUANTITY” field to donate $4.00, “3” for a $6.00 donation, etc.
Why $2.00? Due to the PayPal fee structure, a $2.00 donation is significantly more beneficial compared to a $1.00 donation.
Check out these posts:
- Product Review: TCX X-Desert Boots
- Get Anxiety & Stress Under Control (Motorcyclist)
- Video Lesson:Intersection Crash
- Video Lesson: Uphill Hairpin Fail
- Triumph Street Triple R Review
- How To Survive Mid-Corner Hazards
- #1 Reason for Motorcycle Crashes in Corners
How Can I help You? Online Coaching NOW AVAILABLE
Stay Informed: Subscribe NOW!
Be a Better Rider: Sign Up for Personal Training with Ken
Support Riding in the Zone: Buy a book
Support Riding in the Zone: Buy products from Twisted Throttle & Amazon