It’s smart to know who you are about to share a ride with, so let me introduce myself. My name is Ken Condon and for over 45 years I have been a commuter, tourer, off-road rider, track day instructor, road racer, drag racer, and plain old street rider who enjoys riding with friends and family (my wife and daughter also ride).
I was lead instructor for Tony’s Track Days for 24 years, and currently operate “Riding in the Zone” Non-Sportbike Track and Street Training. I am a 25-year MSF RiderCoach, veteran roadracer and avid off-road rider.
I am an experienced off-road rider and amateur championship-winning roadracer, starting in 1986.
Motorcyclist training and riding resume’:
- 2005-present- owner Riding in the Zone Non-Sportbike Track Days
- 2018-present- Resident riding coach for Beach’s Motorcycle Adventures European Tours
- 2017-present- Conference and dealership presentations
- 2016- Motorcycle Launch Press Events domestic and overseas for Motorcyclist Magazine
- 2015 – “Motorcycling the Right Way” published
- 2015- present- Owner- Advanced Street Rider Training Days (formerly Non-Sportbike Track Days)
- 2013-present-Owner and Instructor for Riding in the Zone Motorcyclist Training
- 1995 -2015-Certified Motorcycle Safety Foundation Instructor/RiderCoach
- 1999 -2020- Tony’s Track Days Chief Instructor/Staff Trainer
- 2010 to present- Tony’s Track Days Personal Instruction program coordinator and lead instructor
- 2014- 2019- Motorcyclist Magazine author of the monthly Street Savvy column.
- 2001- 2014- Motorcycle Consumer News Safety and Skills articles Columnist for monthly Proficient Motorcycling and Street Strategies columns
- 2008- Author of Riding in the Zone, Advanced Techniques for Skillful Motorcycling
- 1986-2015 – Expert level motorcycle club road racer with AAMRR and NEMRR and USCRA
- 1976 to present- Commuting, Touring, Sport Touring, Sport Riding, Road Racing, Ice Riding, Off-road riding.
Ken is a championship-winning roadracer who started in 1986 with AAMRR and returned in 2000 to race with the Loudon Road Racing Series. Ken returned to racing with the USCRA vintage road racing club in 2014.
See the photo gallery for a pictorial history of Ken’s racing career.
Ken has also written the monthly “Proficient Motorcycling” and “Street Strategy” columns for Motorcycle Consumer News for over 10 years.
Ken is an experienced public speaker for motorcycle related organizations. Some past engagements include:
- Cornering Seminars at several Northeast Harley dealerships
- National Association of State Motorcycle Safety Administrators (SMSA), Burlington, VT, 2017
- Nevada Traffic Safety Summit, Las Vegas, NV, 2016
- Massachusetts Rider Education Program, 2008-2010, 2016
- BMW/RA Rally Brattleboro, VT, 2010
- Maryland Motorcycle Safety Program, 2010
- Michigan Motorcycle Safety Program, 2010
- Rhode Island Motorcycle Safety Program, 2011, 2015
- Americade, Featured Speaker, 2011, Seminars 2010, 2016
- Tony’s Track Days, Traction Seminar, 2014
- Yankee Beemers Damn Yankee Rally, 2009
It’s embarrassing to admit, but I started riding as a way to enhance my adolescent manhood at a time when my skinny physique and sensitive demeanor did not exactly make me a chick magnet. It didn’t take long to realize that riding a motorcycle wasn’t going to make me any more interesting to girls. But, by then the riding bug had bitten hard and there was no turning back.
As parents are known to say: “it’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt”. Well, I learned that truth after a couple of mishaps in high school brought the reality of the risks into plain view and threatened to spoil the fun. However, I was not to be deterred. I didn’t like feeling vulnerable, so I started improving my riding skill and learning strategies for survival to reduce anxiety and prevent any future pain and repair expense.
This began my long journey toward being the best rider I can be. In addition to my 40 years on two wheels, I also have 25 years experience as a certified Motorcycle Safety Foundation instructor/coach, 25 years as a track day instructor, and 10 years as owner of “Riding in the Zone Motorcyclist Training” where I offer real-world, on-street and on-racetrack rider coaching. I am also author of the book “Riding in the Zone: Advanced Techniques for Skillful Motorcycling” and have written over 250 skills and safety articles for Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN). I authored the “Street Savvy” column for Motorcyclist Magazine, and am creator of the “Riding in the Zone” blog. I told you I’m a motorcycling junkie.