I always thought pledges were a crock until I learned the potential benefit in encouraging behavior change, risk awareness and a quest for greater proficiency.
The point of signing this pledge is four-fold. First, it is a way to help you reflect on yourself as a rider. Second, it is a commitment that you can share with your family saying you are doing all you can to make it home at the end of a ride. Third, it holds you to following these behaviors. Fourth, it encourages you to continually improve areas where you may be weak.
This pledge is not only for yourself to make riding more fun and safe, but also for the ones who love you. A commitment to safe riding is an expression of respect and love toward your loved ones.
Imagine the emotional and financial pain they would suffer if you die or become injured. Imagine them being forced to care for you by cleaning your wounds, or worse. Sorry to be a bummer, but…
So, here we go.
- I will expand my knowledge of motorcycling safety and control through continual reading, and by taking a formal safety/skills course.
- I will continue to practice my physical skills to keep them sharp.
- I will learn about and develop mental strategies for managing traffic and other hazardous situations.
- I will never ride while intoxicated or impaired in any way.
- I will choose not to ride if my ability to manage hazards is compromised.
- I will choose not to ride with others who do not share my commitment to safety.
- I will wear protective gear on every ride.
Feel free to add your own points. Also, feel free to copy this pledge and print it out.*
Then sign it, hang it on your garage wall, and give a copy to each of the people who care about you.
*Please distribute this pledge to your riding friends and family. I’d really appreciate it if you include credit and a link to this article. Thanks.
Please Donate to Keep the Articles Coming
If you liked this article and the other articles on this site, please toss a buck or four into the hat. It’s greatly appreciated!
- Click the PayPal “Pay Now” button.
- Then indicate quantity in $2.00 increments. – Example: put “2” in “QUANTITY” field to donate $4.00, “3” for a $6.00 donation, etc.
Why $2.00? Due to the PayPal fee structure, a $2.00 donation is significantly more beneficial compared to a $1.00 donation.
Check out these related posts:
How Can I help You? Online Coaching NOW AVAILABLE
Stay Informed: Subscribe NOW!
Be a Better Rider: Sign Up for Personal Training with Ken
Support Riding in the Zone: Buy a book
Support Riding in the Zone: Buy products from Twisted Throttle & Amazon